Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Office: The Return of the Dundees

Ladies and gentlemen, I stand before you a new man. I verbally expressed my hatred for last week's show and questioned whether or not the show could survive post Steve Carell. Heading into tonight's episode and knowing they were doing the second ever Dundee Awards, the last being early in season 2; I had high hopes.

Well, after just finishing this episode my friends, my faith has been restored through the freaking roof. What a spectacular episode we all just witnessed. The lines, the moments both sad and funny and of course the awards themselves, all blended so well with one another and quite frankly it left me wanting and yearning for more.

Let's start with the show's opener. Over the years there have been some openers, but tonight's opener may be my favorite one to date. Michael and DeAngelo going to their co-workers house to let them know personally they have been nominated for a Dundee Award. First up the Halperts. Jim answers the door with bed head and is absolutely shocked to see them standing there and what makes the bit so funny is him telling Pam to stay in the bedroom, don't get up. Cue them next going to Toby's house and throwing eggs at it, simply another priceless moment between Michael and Toby. And last but not least and what shall go down as an epic moment the walk of shame we see Meredith doing. Beat down house, door wide open but yet she has sausages and napkins. Loved the line that DeAngleo says, this reminds me of Katrina.

The two of them played so well together in this episode, a huge turn around from last week's awkward play. Of course Michael who is leaving us wants to train a co-host to take over his legacy, aka his awards and chooses DeAngelo over Dwight, which of course angers Dwight. However, what we don't know is that DeAngelo has a little problem with stage fright and doesn't know how to be quick and witty so Michael calls a conference meeting to help him get over that. Loved the banter between Kevin, Jim and the rest of the gang. Some priceless moments and some great lines as well.

But let's get on to the highlight of the show, the awards themselves. Cue the opening segment with Michael playing other people in the office. I almost fell out of bed when he was portraying Jim, my lord. I texted Brendan immediately while I was watching him, what a scene and a rather good impersonation as well. Father of the year and mother of the year goes to Jim and Pam, sorry what? Meredith? Yes Meredith takes home the mother of the year awards and I love the fact that Dwight wants a picture of the two winners, simply amazing. The diabetes award goes to Stanley and I loved Phyllis saying to the camera, I have diabetes but you don't see me making a big deal about it. God I love her! Then the moment I'm so glad finally happened. The end of Erin and Gabe. The way in which it was handled was so perfect, awkward and laugh out loud funny rolled into one delicious scene. Erin just after accepting her red head hair award says she doesn't feel attracted to Gabe and that she is with the wrong person. (Side note- Andy and Erin will become a couple again and that should feature prominent in the show as it moves forward, just a TK speculation.)

But in one of the more touching moments of the evening, the gang all heads back to the office and they finish out the awards, not before Andy accepts his award for being a college pot head does the whole gang break into song. I absolutely loved it. The tears that Michael has you know are genuine and real because as they're filming this it's gotta be emotional. Sure he's acting, but you just know deep down it means something so much more to be filming some of his last scene's ever on the show. It's been a part of his life for seven seasons now and it's his second to last episode. I found it so touching and yes moving the song and I loved the whole thing.

This show continues to prove while it's one of the best shows to come around in a long time. Next week's episode is going to honestly make me cry and I'm not afraid to say it. I have loved this show ever since my good friend Brendan told me about it. I have become so invested in the show and I love the characters portrayed on it. Steve Carell as Michael Scott to me is truly one of the best TV characters of all-time. Yes all-time. His departure next week is going to be one full of laughs but I'm so anxious to see him say goodbye to not just the fans of the show, that being us at home, but how he handles saying goodbye to specific people in the office, like Jim, Pam and Dwight, and of course Toby.

It's going to be one hell of a roller coaster next week and I'll have a tissue in hand because if you've been a fan of the show like me and have loved it through good times and in bad, the departure of our favorite and true boss of Dunder Mifflin is going to be one for the record books, and will be one that lasts with us for many years to come!!!

See you all back here next week for my recap of Michael Scott's final episode!!!

TK

2 comments: